MUNICIPAL PROPERTY TAXES
Property taxes are calculated from assessed property values issued by the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation.
Property Taxes are due February 28th and September 30th of each year. A prompt payment of your account will be greatly appreciated. Penalty will be added to your account at a rate of 1.25% on the balance of any unpaid taxes on the first day of each month thereafter.
You can view a copy of the 2012 Taxation Bylaw .
If you do not agree with the assessed value of your property, you have the right to file a complaint with the Assessment Review Board (ARB), which is an administrative quasi-judicial tribunal of the Province of Ontario. You must file your complaint with the ARB on the appropriate form, along with the required fees and attachments to 250 Yonge Street, 29th Floor, Toronto, ON, M5B 2L7 by March 31st. This form, entitled the Notice of Complaint - Assessment, fee schedule and general information about how to file a complaint can be obtained at the municipal office or directly from 60 Ontario government information centres, MPAC offices, and from the ARB's website at http://www.arb.gov.on.ca/ or by calling 1-800-263-3237 or (416) 314-6900.
For basic property information and assessed values for Ontario properties, visit the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) website at http://www.mpac.ca/ .
METHOD OF PAYMENT
There are many options available, making it easier and more convenient to pay your taxes.
1. We now offer payment by Interac.
2. You can bring the stub on the bottom portion of the tax bill to the bank for payment. You can bring the payment to the bank teller or use the banking machine. These payments are accepted at most financial institutions.
3. You can pay your taxes by using telephone banking or internet banking. You must register your account number with the bank before you begin using this service. Your account number is your roll number, an example of which is "5218000001123450000". You can find this number at the top right hand corner of your tax bill. When adding the Township as a payee, search for "Sables-Spanish Rivers".
4. We also offer Pre-Authorized Payments. You may download a copy of the form here. Please contact the municipal office for more information and to set up this service.
5. We accept payment by mail as well as at the office during business hours.
6. A drop-box is provided outside the main entrance of our office if you wish to drop off your payment after business hours. We encourage payment by cheque if using this method.