Our community is nestled in the LaCloche Foothills region of Lake Huron’s North Shore, encompassing a large rural area including the communities of Walford, Massey and Webbwood.
Incorporated in July of 1998, the Township of Sables-Spanish Rivers offers all of the convenience of urban living amidst tranquil rural surroundings. While larger urban centres such as Sudbury and Sault Ste. Marie are only a short drive away, our many local retail and service establishments easily meet the needs of our residents, visitors and businesses alike.
A well-staffed medical clinic, volunteer fire department, two libraries, learning centre, arena facility, two community halls, outdoor rinks, restaurants and farming history are but a few reasons why visitors to our community often become long-term residents.
Fire Ban – Still in Effect Aug 14, 2018
The Ministry of Natural Resources & Forestry has partially lifted the Restricted Fire Zone in our area, however the municipal fire ban remains in effect!
For more information visit: https://www.ontario.ca/page/outdoor-fire-restrictions
Bears in the Community
Due to the recent bear sightings, the public is advised to follow the guidelines found on the “Bear Wise” website: https://www.ontario.ca/page/prevent-bear-encounters-bear-wise
Who to contact:
Call 911 or your local police, if you feel a bear poses an immediate threat to personal safety and:
- enters a school yard when school is in session
- enters or tries to enter a residence
- wanders into a public gathering
- kills livestock/pets and lingers at the site
- stalks people and lingers at the site
Generally, bears want to avoid humans. Most encounters are not aggressive and attacks are rare.
Call the Bear Wise reporting line at 1-866-514-2327 (*between April 1-November 30) if a bear is:
- roaming around, checking garbage cans
- breaking into a shed where garbage or food is stored
- in a tree
- pulling down a bird feeder or knocking over a barbecue
- moving through a backyard or field but is not lingering
2018 Municipal Elections